Action minutes of the annual meetings and Executive Council meetings are below. Click on the arrow ( > ) at the right of a date to see details. Narrative or discussion minutes are maintained in the Association’s archive. A detailed account of the organizational meeting held in February 2019 may be found in the first newsletter.
April 8, 2023
April 15, 2022
- The meeting via Zoom was called to order at 4:00 p.m. (EST), with 34 members present.
- President and Executive Director Nicholas G. Meriwether gave the welcome and explained the format of the meeting and elections.
- President-Elect G. Ganter gave the conference report: 25 papers, 12 sessions, and 34 presenters.
- Vice President Kurt Torell gave the projects report, including the Proceedings, archive, and book series.
- Treasurer Beth Carroll gave the financial report, including software upgrades, oversight, and balance sheet. The Association has no debts and can cover projected costs for the next year.
- Secretary Jan Wright gave the membership report: 119 members, including 38 are Charter members.
- Nicholas Meriwether explained the elections process and introduced G. Ganter as incoming President.
- G. Ganter introduced Susan Balter-Reitz, nominee for President-Elect; Kurt Torell introduced Deepak Sarma, nominee for Vice President; Beth Carroll introduced Eduardo Duarte, nominee for Treasurer; Jan Wright introduced Ariella Werden-Greenfield, nominee for Secretary. Each candidate gave a brief statement; Wright gave the candidate statement for Werden-Greenfield, who was unable to attend.
- No candidates from the floor were nominated, and all candidates were elected unanimously.
- Officers answered questions from the floor about membership, the conference, the PCA, and the Association.
- The meeting adjourned at 5:20 p.m. (EST).
June 4, 2021
- The meeting via Zoom called to order at 2:15 p.m. (EST), with approximately 63 members present.
- President Nicholas G. Meriwether welcomed members, thanked the PCA, and provided an overview of the Executive Council’s work since the organizational meeting.
- President-Elect G. Ganter gave the conference report. The Association had 26 papers, 11 sessions, and 34 presenters.
- Secretary Jan Wright could not attend and Ganter gave her membership report: 82 members, including 25 charter members.
- Vice President Kurt Torell gave the projects report, discussing forthcoming publications and the Association’s archive.
- Treasurer Beth Carroll gave the financial report. The Association has a positive balance sheet with enough to cover slated publications for the next year.
- Nicholas Meriwether gave the keynote address, published in Proceedings Volume 1.
- The meeting adjourned at 3:10 p.m.
February 23, 2019
- Meeting called to order at 3:30 p.m., with 30 people present.
- Report on the work of Ad Hoc Task Force to organize the Association and the reasons for creating the organization.
- Report on the legal work to incorporate the Association.
- Report on the Association’s first initiatives: an archive, a journal, and websites.
- Discussion of Southwest Popular/American Culture Association; constitution and by-laws; and outreach.
- Election of officers: no nominations from floor; unanimous election of Beth Carroll, Treasurer; Granville Ganter, President-Elect; Nicholas Meriwether, President; Kurt Torell, Vice President; Jan Wright, Secretary.
- Discussion of elections and officer roles and other questions from the floor.
- Adjournment at 4:40 pm.
Executive Council Meetings
February 15, 2023
August 12, 2022
April 6, 2022
December 11, 2021
August 26, 2021
May 4, 2021
- The meeting via conference call began at 11:00 a.m. (PST). Present: Beth Carroll, G. Ganter, Nicholas Meriwether, Kurt Torell, Jan Wright.
- Council approved November 19, 2020, minutes. Council agreed to discuss publication format at the next meeting.
- Membership report: 45 regular members including 4 international members; 24 charter members. Website wording revision should reduce nonpayment of invoices.
- Financial report: positive balance sheet, no debts, and enough to cover expected expenses for the year.
- Annual reports: Pre-Incorporation cumulative report (2017–2019) has been published; 2020 report is underway.
- Publications report: Peer review for next journal volume underway; Proceedings design completed, contents in process. Council voted unanimously to provide additional editorial input as requested.
- Conference report: area has accepted 28 papers in 11 sessions with 35 presenters, including 24 members. Council determined format of Association business meeting.
- The next Council meeting will be August 2021. Meeting adjourned at 11:50 a.m. (PST).
November 19, 2020
July 28, 2020
May 14, 2020
February 20, 2020
December 7, 2019
August 27, 2019
- The meeting via conference call began at 1 p.m. (PST). Present: Beth Carroll, G. Ganter, Nicholas Meriwether, Kurt Torell, Jan Wright.
- Report on incorporation: continuing; anticipated spring 2020 completion.
- Report on website development: domain names and hosting secured. Development continues.
- Report on publications: journal reformatting progressing; print costs for Vol. 4 to be covered by donor.
- Report and discussion of possible conference hosts; research continues; discussion at next meeting.
- Report on constitution and by-laws; revisions continue; discussion at next meeting.
- Discussion of membership categories; tabled until next meeting.
- Adjournment at 2:20 p.m. (PST).